Support for Young People
Anyone can be a victim of abuse but it’s important to know that the law has changed regarding the definition of domestic abuse, more commonly known as domestic violence.
If you are 16 or over and have suffered one or more incidents of controlling or threatening behaviour or assault by a boy/girlfriend or a family member, you are a victim of domestic violence.
Threatening or controlling behaviour can take the form of physical, sexual and emotional abuse amongst others. You can find out more about different types of abuse from this website or http://www.disrespectnobody.co.uk/
Controlling behaviour is when someone cuts you off from friends and family or makes you reliant on them by taking away your independence. You have none of the freedoms everyone else takes for granted, such as talking to friends, using your phone, wearing what you want for example.
The Disrespect NoBody campaign is aimed at 12 to 18 year old boys and girls with the aim of preventing them from becoming perpetrators and victims of abusive relationships by encouraging young people to re-think their views of violence, abuse, controlling behaviour and what consent means within their relationships.
You can also get help and advice from the Sheffield Domestic Abuse Helpline:
Sheffield Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 808 2241
Monday – Friday : 8am – 8pm, Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays 11am – 8pm
Outside of these hours call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
You can talk to us about the abuse and work through which services might work best for you with an experienced helpline worker.
The helpline offers:
- Advice, support and safety for all people (16 years and above) who experiencing domestic and sexual abuse
- Advice and support on keeping yourself safe.
- A service to women, men, children, young people, practitioners and worried family members
- Up-to-date access to services in Sheffield and available refuge spaces
If you phone the helpline and we can’t speak your language we can arrange an interpreter. You can also email us in your language, we will translate it and get back to you.
Other ways to seek specialist local advice
You can email the helpline on email@example.com
You can use our new online chat facility – this is available everyday between 4pm and 6pm at www.idas.org.uk
Sheffield Domestic Abuse Service
Telephone: 0808 808 2241
The Sheffield Domestic abuse service in Sheffield provides a range of services for all victims (women and men) of domestic abuse and sexual violence, who are aged 16 years and over.
In addition to our helpline and live chat facility the service offers a range of services which includes : –
- A holistic assessment to identify your support needs and risk of domestic abuse.
- Safety planning & crisis intervention
- IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advocacy) support and advocacy at the MARAC (Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference)
- Community based 1:1 support and safety planning.
- Group programmes to help you overcome the harmful impacts of abuse.
- Support if you are going through criminal or civil proceedings.
- Practical support and advice; including housing, benefits, legal services, schools.
- Help to secure your home via our Sanctuary /Target Hardening scheme.
- Using a multi agency approach with both statutory and non statutory organisations to provide support, this may include referral to or sign posting to other agencies; BME services, mental health, drugs and alcohol, counselling, housing, advice centres and legal services.
All staff are trained to deliver specialist support, working in partnership with multiple agencies and the service user, with the aim of increasing the safety of the individual and their dependents.
Community Youth teams
Please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org / 0800 138 8381 or 0114 2057450 for more information