‘It’s not over yet however, I have found I am a much stronger person and can deal with it with the support I receive’ – Service user August 2014.
IDAS provide the Sheffield Domestic Abuse Helpline. Phone 0808 808 2241
Monday – Friday : 8am – 8pm (not bank holidays), Saturday 9am – 5pm
Outside of these hours call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
You can talk to us about the abuse and work through which services might work best for you with an experienced helpline worker.
The helpline offers:
- Advice, support and safety for people experiencing domestic and sexual abuse
- Advice and support on keeping yourself safe.
- A service to women, men, children, young people, practitioners and worried family members
- Up-to-date access to services in Sheffield and available refuge spaces
If you phone the helpline and we can’t speak your language we can arrange an interpreter. You can also email us in your language, we will translate it and get back to you.
Other ways to seek local specialist advice
You can email the helpline on email@example.com
You can use our new online chat facility – this is available everyday between 4pm and 6pm at www.idas.org.uk
IDAS Sheffield Domestic Abuse Service
Telephone: 0808 808 2241
IDAS provide the community based Sheffield Domestic abuse service. There is a range of services for all victims (women and men) of domestic abuse and sexual violence, who are aged 16 years and over.
In addition to our helpline and live chat facility the service offers a range of services which includes : –
- A holistic assessment to identify your support needs and risk of domestic abuse.
- Safety planning & crisis intervention
- IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advocacy) support and advocacy at the MARAC (Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference)
- Community based 1:1 support and safety planning.
- Group programmes to help you overcome the harmful impacts of abuse.
- Support if you are going through criminal or civil proceedings.
- Practical support and advice; including housing, benefits, legal services, schools.
- Help to secure your home via our Sanctuary /Target Hardening scheme.
- Using a multi agency approach with both statutory and non statutory organisations to provide support, this may include referral to or sign posting to other agencies; BME services, mental health, drugs and alcohol, counselling, housing, advice centres and legal services.
All staff are trained to deliver specialist support, working in partnership with multiple agencies and the service user, with the aim of increasing the safety of the individual and their dependents.
Telephone: 0808 808 2241
IDAS provide access to the Sanctuary Scheme (which is also known as target hardening). It is a service for people who cannot leave their homes or who want to remain in their own home but fear an attack from an ex-partner or family member. It can provide home security including window and door locks, personal alarms, fire-proof letter boxes and in extreme cases, safe rooms within the property.
Contact the IDAS Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 808 2241 and ask about the Sanctuary Scheme, to see if you are eligible.
Sheffield Area Refuge And Support (SARAS)
SARAS offer safe, supportive refuge spaces for women and their children to live after leaving abusive relationships.
Referral line: 0114 242 6887
Shelter Homelessness Service
Furnival House, 48 Furnival Gate, Sheffield, S1 4QP
Telephone: 0344 515 1515 Website: https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/local_services/sheffield
Shelter offer a wide range of help and advice on all housing and homelessness issues. They have a team of advisers and solicitors who may be able to help you with your problem – and if they can’t help, they work with other agencies who can.
Shelter have computers and telephones you can use to access the internet for advice, claim benefits, or bid on properties.
Issues they can deal with
- homelessness, or worried you’ll soon become homeless
- looking for accommodation
- having problems with your landlord
- being evicted or repossessed
- debt problems
- benefits issues
- problems with disrepair
- need help going to court regarding your housing
Even if your problem isn’t listed above Shelter may still be able to help – just give them a call to discuss.
Other Sheffield Services
In addition to the services listed above, there are a number of other services that support victims of domestic and sexual abuse in Sheffield, that you can also contact, via the telephone numbers listed below. More detailed information about these services can be found in this Support Section, listed under women, children and men.
Ashiana Sheffield: 0114 255 5740
Homeless Services (SCC): 0114 273 5142/5406 Out of Hours: 0800 7311 689
NSPCC Young People Centre : 0114 228 9200
Sanctuary Scheme: 0808 808 2241
Sexual Assault Referral Centre for South Yorkshire : 0330 223 3193
Sheffield Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre: Helpline: 0808 802 0013
Sheffield Women’s Counselling and Therapy Service: 0114 275 2157
Sheffield Working Women’s Opportunities Project: 0114 275 2040
VIDA Sheffield: 0114 275 0101
Young Women’s Housing Project: 0114 268 0580
Youth Offending Service: 0114 243 5597 / 283 5927